Mao Dun literary prize winner Zhou Daxin’s novel released in 2020 titled “The Sky Gets Dark, SLOWLY” is a wake up call to those of us who are pre-retired, retiring, or already retired. For those who are younger, the message is equally valid into the future. As we age, we will walk into a road that may make us panic unless we are prepared as it gets dark.
Five situations to keep in mind
“Right until all the lights go out and the sky gets dark, there are some situations to keep in mind”. The author Zhou Daxin lists 5 of them:
- “The people by your side will continue to grow smaller in number… you will have to learn how to live alone and enjoy and embrace solitude”.
- “Society will care less and less for you. No matter how glorious your previous career was … you become the a regular old man or old woman”.
- “The road ahead will be rocky… fractures, cardio-vascular blockages, brain atrophy, cancer…these are all possible guests that could pay you a visit any time.
- “Prepare for bed-bound life, a return to the infant state”.
- “There will be many swindlers and scammers along the way.”
Be prepared to turn the lights on now
There is no time for “later”. “As such, upon turning 60, it would do us all well to see life for what it is, to cherish what we have, and to enjoy life whilst we can…do not take on society’s troubles… on your self. Stay humble , don’t act superior on account of your own age and talk down to others — this will hurt yourself as much as as it will hurt other”.
Keep fit and stay active
The formula of paying attention to DEWSS namely, a healthy diet, exercise, weight control, smoking cessation, and drinking spirits in moderation has much to offer to keep the sky from getting dark sooner than it should. Read about DEWSS: https://wordpress.com/post/agewelleveryday.org/501
Stay curious, happy, and helpful
Happiness is the best medicine. And we can choose to be happy. We can choose to think of the glass as half full instead of half empty. The sky will then get dark very much more slowly. Enjoy the joys of living as you face each day.
Read the post in full
Zhou Daxin. The sky gets dark SLOWLY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzbr6Kk6jVs